Sunday, November 21, 2010

Thanksgiving - the Joy of Long Lines

I don’t know how all of you celebrate the holidays, but at my house it is an all out, over the top affair. This sense of joy and love of the holidays was instilled in me by mom and grandmother many years ago. My mom and grandmom raised us to believe that Thanksgiving and Christmas was the best time of the year and it is. We were not a family of great means, but my mom always made it feel as if we were and always made this time of year special for me and my two brothers. The food, the lights, the glow of candles setting warmth and comfort for friends and family that have gathered around the table always bring back great memories.

The preparation and the build-up are started by Thanksgiving. A lot of people take this wonderful time of the year to remind us of what we have to be thankful for. I will give you some of my not so typical things I am thankful for, like going shopping at Costco with my wife. I love the crowds and the lines. Most people would consider this unusual, but I look at it as one more memory my wife and I share of another holiday and her telling me "put that back, you can’t have it". I am able to buy food when many cannot; pushing a heavy grocery cart is something we all need to give thanks for. I am thankful for the parents who drag their kids to the store so I get to see the joy and anticipation on their faces of the holiday soon to be. I love free samples of all the great foods and the smiles of the friendly seniors who prepare it. They look like everyone’s grandparents.... well, most of them are friendly. After the second round of samples it counts as dinner out with the wife, another treasured moment. The dessert section is a mandatory. The pecan pie at Costco is wonderful; just ask my black lab Duchess. Looking forward to my first piece of pie of the season last year, I was surprised to see the pecan pie was no longer on the counter. There sat Duchess licking her lips with pie remnants all over the top of her head. She was very thankful. I am thankful I get to see those same strange people as myself with happy looks on their faces because the long lines and crowds of Thanksgiving are here; the one time of year we can all meet and look inconspicuous.

The one day my family and I look forward to and most people avoid is Black Friday shopping. This is one of our great joys. We all jump into the car, find the radio station that plays Christmas music 24/7 for the next four weeks, and drive to the mall. Getting a great parking spot at the mall after driving around like a great bird of prey for a half an hour, swooping in and snagging a spot, triumphantly stepping out of the car to see the faces of my fellow shoppers with parking envy; all the decorations at the mall; Santa listening to wishes of children; the voices of carolers as they stroll amongst the festive throng of people; Victoria's Secret playing their video of their annual runway show in the store window right across from the bathroom that my wife always needs to stop at, all bring a smile to my face! The leaves - gold, red and brown - along with the crisp fall air of Virginia finish the perfect backdrop to the start of the holidays. What could possibly add to this holiday nirvana for my family and me?

This year my daughter being the kind and beautiful person she is has adopted a family in need. Caught up championing PD can be distracting at times. Thanks to her for reminding us that there are others in need. Along with her wonderful friends, we are pooling our resources together to make sure that this family does not go without this holiday. You make your dad proud!

We should never look at long lines and crowds of people who are preparing to celebrate holidays as a burden or an inconvenience. It is a blessing to be cherished. How many people would give anything to trade places with you? At the end of their line waits a bowl of soup and a night at the shelter, but I'm sure they are probably thankful to have that. If you can, please help those who go without food or gifts for the holidays. It is something you will be truly thankful you did.

From me and my family, have the happiest of holidays. See you at Costco.

I'm Pat Younts and I Move to Live.

5 comments:

  1. Oh Pat, Made me laugh yet again! Yum yum pecan pie. You are so right about Mom's making the holidays special... mine would breeze through both hoilday meals like it was nothing. And all that shopping and wrapping she did for us kids. She was simply amazing.
    Blessing to you and yours.
    Love,
    Marsha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pat,
    You amaze me more and more every day. You are quite the writer my friend, but I would appreciate it if you would quit making me cry.
    Happy Thanksgiving to the Younts clan!
    Ken

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Thanksgiving, Pat. I was just sitting here starting a little pity party, and you made me smile and spoiled it! Personally, I just hate going to Cosco, and knowing that, my husband always goes by himself and consults with me by cell phone. I do, however, love the malls at Christmas time. I know a lot of people don't, but I love the decorations, the crowds, the sound of Christmas carols, the ringing of the Salvation Army bell. My husband and I always walk through the crowd with big grins on our faces; I'm sure people think we're nuts!

    Come to think of it, I think I'll go with my husband the next time he goes to Cosco. Maybe it will be fun, if I let it.

    Thanks so much for reminding me to enjoy the simple things!

    Marian

    ReplyDelete
  4. Daddy,
    You make me proud everyday:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Pat

    Is it OK to feature your blog on www.wobblywilliams.com? There is a blog portal where I feature Parkinson's bloggers. Can you drop me an email? info@wobblywilliams.com

    Cheers
    Bryn

    ReplyDelete

Parkinson's and a Promise

Over the Christmas holidays my wife and I were shopping in our local Costco and it just so happened that their seasonal items were on displ...