Sunday, November 7, 2010

Life's purpose

History tells us that at the end of Alexander the Great's campaign to increase the real estate holdings of Greece the Macedonia looked at all he had accomplished and wept because there was no more world to concur. I actually think there was, but without GPS, Google maps, or a good woman by his side giving him directions, what's a guy going to do? Pull over and ask directions, I think not. Alexander believed he reached the end of his life's work and on the way home from the ultimate road trip he died, perhaps from the empty void left from achieving his goals and having nothing more to live for.

From time to time we all wonder what our purpose in life is. Prior to my diagnosis a year and a half ago I found myself getting a little anxious about what I was doing with my life. Often I would tell my wife that I was not using my abilities. I felt stagnant and frustrated. I was looking for my own world to conquer. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing up to this point to complain about. I have a great life. I am married to my soul mate, have great kids, and over the last decade have what I consider a very relaxed lifestyle, blessed with great clients who also happen to be dear friends in my personal training business. I love all of my people and would keep on training them even if I won the lottery. This did not solve that little voice in the back of my head asking me what great thing are you doing? Are you using all your talents? It was an itch that was not getting scratched. I bought one of those self help books that help you discover what it is you are supposed to do with your life. I know some might consider self help books a little hokie, but I was getting really frustrated. I prayed at night for guidance toward my purpose -- that's how frustrated I had become.

Okay, I have not told this to anyone except my wife, so let's keep this between us. I read the self help books, but nothing was clicking. What to do? My life's calling was still a giant question mark and then the diagnosis came -- I had Parkinson's. I am a sick person, that's my new career? To hell with that, like good old Alexander the Great, a world conqueror, had shown me. I now fight a desperate battle against an undefeated opponent. With no army at my disposal, how was I to fight this battle? I recall someone once telling me that you can fix most problems if you throw enough money at it. What weapons would I need for my first battle to raise funds to fight Parkinson's? Golf clubs, some tee's, and lots of golf balls, and my battlefield would be the Kastle Greens Golf Club. The First Annual PY Vs. PD Golf Tournament would be the first step in a long journey to conquer Parkinson's.

It dawned on me at some point during the event that I was doing exactly what I had been searching for. All the things I have learned, all my modest talents came into play to create this event. My prayers in an odd way had been answered. I prayed for a purpose, a direction, and that moment of reckoning came in the form of PD. I do not question the way my now life's work has been given to me. I simply accept the challenge and use what skills and talents I have acquired through my life and put them to work to face this challenge.

It was a wonderful feeling to see the idea take shape and exceed expectations. So many people came together to support all of us battling PD. Their generosity and effort was amazing. I wish all of you could have been there. A golfer walked up to me after the tournament and told me he had a great time and would definitely be back next year. His golf partner said, "Not if they find a cure." The thought had not occurred to me that everyone's fundraiser might be the last one ever needed. Unlike Alexander I will not weep. There are still more worlds to conquer and causes to champion.

Do not let your situation distract you from your dreams and goals. Find your purpose and live your life.

6 comments:

  1. Great Work Pat. An answer to prayer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hummm... directions... perhaps a manual for life. What a great concept. Sharing kindness, loving, paying it forward, learning, teaching are all in your manual Pat, you are a shining example! As humans we have choices...
    Love or Hate?
    Smile or Frown?
    Give or Take?
    You my friend.... L S G !!!

    Marsha
    Marsha
    Marsha

    ReplyDelete
  3. The tournament was great. I know how wonderful it was for me to see everyone come together for a common goal. The day they cure PD though, I will cry, from happiness.
    I love you daddy! You're the best dad a girl could ask for:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. How wonderful you are and how very hard you worked.

    From me to you, a big, ginormous thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was AWESOME Pat!
    We all had a lot of fun! I am sure next year will be even better!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bob, thank you always for your positive comments and for the wonderful blog you write. I always tell my wife that I aspire to write as well as you one day. Thank you for your support. Your friend, Pat

    Marsha, Marsha, Marsha, I have always been blessed with great friends like you. Thank you for supporting me and all of us battling PD.

    Karen, I thought you might like it. Thank you and Mark for helping to make it a great success and always supporting me and Darla.

    Thank you Baby Doll for being a wonderful daughter, and for everything you do for me and Mom. Love, Dad

    Kj,When Darla and I read that you wanted to come out for the tournament to support us, it brought tears to our eyes. We keep your Dad in our prayers and look forward to the day that we can meet you and Mr. Paws, maybe at next year's tournament. Your friend, Pat

    ReplyDelete

Parkinson's and a Promise

Over the Christmas holidays my wife and I were shopping in our local Costco and it just so happened that their seasonal items were on displ...