Wednesday, June 9, 2010

"Hi, great to see you" and my hands go in my pockets

Being officially a member of the shaky hand society for almost a year, there are lots of people who still don't know that I have PD.  As a former gym owner and personal trainer, I have been blessed with many friends and acquaintances over the last 30 years.  I run into a lot of people that I have not seen for awhile and the conversation always seems to be the same.  "Hi, great to see you," (hopefully I remember their name) "how have you been?" "Great, how about you?" What do I say, "Oh I have PD."  Well that conversation has all the social tact as asking someone, how's your Mom? Oh she's dead. Okay, great then. Have a nice day, see you soon. So that's why I don't like telling people that I have PD.  It's not that I am embarrassed or ashamed.  It's because I don't want to make them feel bad and then watch them squirm around for the right thing to say.  Now I'm not going to tell anyone unless I get a direct question, but wait my shaky hands.  What do I  do?  Shove them in my pockets like I always do and hope no one notices because shaking hands in pockets just does not look good in public. There also is the other situation where I know someone knows that I have PD and I see them for the first time after the diagnosis and they don't say a word about my PD. Not I'm sorry, I heard you have PD, or wow, I love the great blog site you started, you're so clever, I bet you're a terrific golfer, do you work out?  Wait that last one was me talking to myself.  The problem with PD is that it's socially awkward.  Your hands shake, your body movements can be all over the place, and speech can be affected.  You worry about being invited to a dinner party where they serve soup and everyone at the dinner party ends up looking like they sat in the front row at a Gallagher Show when you are done eating. PD is getting harder for me to hide so when I see someone, I always greet them with a smile and a sincere and enthusiastic, "How are you?" Even though my body is projecting a negative, my mind and spirit project nothing but a positive so people know that I'm doing okay so it's alright to act normal around me.  If all else fails, I make a bad joke like I'm hoping that they will put martini shaking or sanding in the upcoming Olympics because I feel I would have a great shot at the gold. Yeah, I know bad joke, but sometimes all you can do is laugh. Stay positive and keep moving!

7 comments:

  1. Pat all I see when you are with me is my friend. Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just see a golfing buddy and my oldest and dearest friend

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey! The front row at a Gallagher show is the best seat in the house. You're worth it, my friend :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank to all of my friends who take the time to read my blog and say the kindest things to inspire me to keep writing!
    Love all of you, Pat

    ReplyDelete
  5. Guess you are right, shaking hands in pockets isn't a great idea in public!! Ha! Made me laugh once again Pat!! Keep it coming!!

    Marsha

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Parkinson's and a Promise

Over the Christmas holidays my wife and I were shopping in our local Costco and it just so happened that their seasonal items were on displ...