Saturday, July 17, 2010

Parkinson's Challange Update

Just got back from a wonderful 30th wedding anniversary in Atlantic City. As those of you who have kept up with my blog know, I had three challenges for the summer. I wanted to get my bench press back up to 250 lbs before we left July 12 and I’m happy to say that goal was met. Thanks to Big Mike for letting me work out with him. Mike spotted me and kept me motivated by also trying to hit the same goal of 250 lbs, which he also did. This was challenging for Mike, too. At a height of 6'7”, he has a long way to push that bar up. Mike has his own neurological difficulty after suffering a broken neck in the line of duty as a police officer. Great job, big guy!!

I haven’t met my body weight goal yet, but I have lost 10 lbs, bringing my body weight down to 184 lbs. I should have calculated adding extra muscle mass which I have done. I still need to drop 10 more to get abs.

As for my golf game, we have played best ball the last three outings so I am not sure what my individual score is, but I can tell you I am hitting longer and straighter with my driver than ever.

My balance and big motor skills are doing great even with PD, but I am working very hard to keep them going. Remember by giving yourself goals to achieve, you keep the mindset of improving in the future instead of the mindset that things are diminishing. This will help maintain a positive attitude and a better quality of life.

I am Pat Younts and I move to live.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Parkinson's and a Promise

Over the Christmas holidays my wife and I were shopping in our local Costco and it just so happened that their seasonal items were on displ...