Monday, May 31, 2010

Bike Riding on Parky-1

The name of my blog, of course, is Move to Live - Beating Parkinson's.  One of the things I use to help me move is my stationary bike, Parky-1.  I recently modified Parky-1 by adding a platform to hold a laptop and a new seat because the last seat I had was not very kind to my body parts.  With the new upgrades I have made to Parky-1 (to see an equivalent upgrade of this type of technology and magnitude, please check out IRON MAN 2), this allows me to monitor my heart and pulse rate, calories burned, biofeedback in real time, also a global positioning satellite tied into NASA to monitor my whereabouts......Wait GPS? NASA satellites? It's a stationary bike. It doesn't move, just shakes a little. As a matter of fact, I can't back any of that stuff up! Ah well, maybe the next upgrade.  Sure sounded cool though didn't it? Actually I watch Youtube videos on golf and music, play cds and dvds, and work on this blog while I ride the bike because it's boring, but it's good for me so I do it. Research has shown some great benefits that bike riding provides  people with PD.  Here are some links that our crack research department (me and my wife) have found: 


Make whatever you do fun and interesting. If you can sing along (great for speech therapy) to the music when you ride or walk, just don't talk to yourself. Those people scare me, and if you do talk to yourself, try to pair up with someone does the same.  At least it will look like you're having a conversation.  Bluetooth users are, of course, exempt. Whatever you do to fight back and slow the old PD train down helps! Keep moving!

My trinity challenge update - I have lost 7 pounds, no six pack abs yet, but getting closer. My bench press is up to 210 pounds for 4 reps,still ahead of schedule, and as for my golf game, I shot a 97 last week (no mulligans),  My driver was the best club in my bag.  I hit long and straight. I want to break 80 before my charity golf tournament, which has an official date and name now.  The Shaky Stick Golf Tournament to benefit Parkinson's research will be held on October 1, 2010, at Prince William Golf Course,  Bristow, Virginia. More details to come.
Note: always get your doctor's ok before starting any new activities!
I'm Pat Younts and I move to live.

4 comments:

  1. Parky-1 LOL!
    Got to get out and golf this week.
    Got Friday or Sat afternoon?
    After 1pm cheaper.
    KBS

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pat,
    Good to see the blog again, was experiencing internet withdrawl. Great workout Wednesday 225lbs. on the bench. We are going to shatter the 250lbs goal. Just think you with the PD and me with the partial paralysis, think we need a team name like shake and break LOL. Your the man who motivates and that my friend is a true gift.

    ReplyDelete

Parkinson's and a Promise

Over the Christmas holidays my wife and I were shopping in our local Costco and it just so happened that their seasonal items were on displ...