Tuesday, April 27, 2010

My Summer Trinity Challenge

As humans, we were born to move. If we didn't, we could not have survived. As a race we had to hunt and that required us to stalk and chase our prey. We had to move when our prey stalked and hunted us. This did not mean you had to be faster than what you were chasing. You had to be faster than your friend who was hunting with you. Sometimes it does matter where you place in the race! I look behind me and in the far distance there is a big furry beast called P.D. stalking me. Time to move to gain some distance on the PD beast!

At 48 I'm still considered young for Parkinson's and a shaky left hand and stiffness is not holding me back from the gym. My balance and coordination are still better than my wife's and if you don't believe me, watch me play her in a game of ping pong, not good! According to a recent article in the PDF (Parkinson's Disease Foundation) news and review, exercise may be a neuroprotective, which means it could slow down or reverse the progression of PD.  This report was based on animal studies, and they are not sure if this holds true for humans.  They do know exercise improves flexibility, range of motion, and balance. Exercise can also help with depression and constipation....constipation,  yeah for that. I hoped it would help me not take 10 minutes to take my keys out of my pocket. PDF news and review is a great newsletter and I recommend signing up for it at http://www.pdf.org/.

As I look in my rearview mirror, I see that big beast trying to gain on me.  I also see those words, "objects appear closer than they seem".  No time to waste, Parky Warriors. Let's get moving. Below are my personal goals for the summer.

Challenge 1:  Get back into great shape. I put on 12 lbs. over the cold and snowy Virginia winter and I want to drop down from my current weight of 194 lbs. at 5'7" to 170 to 175 lbs. and back to my bodybuilder days when I was buff. Just because I'm shaky, it does not mean I can't look good.

Challenge 2:  Get my bench back up to 250 lbs. In my 20's I had a 350 lbs. max, weighing 215 lbs. In my late 30's I kept it around 300. Now I'm 48 with PD. I think a 250 lbs. max at a goal body weight of 175lbs is in my range.

Challenge 3:  Improve my golf game by the time I hold my charity golf tournament in October 2010.  I would like to shoot in the 80's and get out of the 90's, which I have been stuck in for the last few years. Someone once gave me a great golf tip. They said I should take two weeks off, then quit.  I wonder what he meant? Quit is not in my vocabulary. That's me to the right, getting ready to hit it straight down the middle, at least that's where I hope it's going to go.

Okay my fellow Parkies, this is how I plan to challenge myself.  What are you going to do?  What is physically challenging to you and how are you going to challenge yourself to battle it? I'd like to hear from you.

NOTE: Always consult your doctor before you do anything and get professional help if it applies.  Be smart and be safe!

I'm Patrick Younts
and I move to live.
                                                                                                        

1 comment:

  1. PAT
    These milestones are only the beginning and I am certain you'll obtain each goal easily. Thats why I keep training with you, because it motivates me to hit the 250 club at the same time, and then push onward to the next level. You've always motivated those you train, now your raising the bar (no suprise there) to inspiring others. Look forward to seeing you reach your goals and setting more once those are reached.
    Big Mike

    ReplyDelete

Parkinson's and a Promise

Over the Christmas holidays my wife and I were shopping in our local Costco and it just so happened that their seasonal items were on displ...